* Directory

Lost an episode? Need quick mobile access? On the hunt? Check out...

The MZPtv Directory

Every script. Every episode.
Every movie.

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Re: RAGNAROK discussion by el Monstruo-0
[Wed Aug 16 2017, 08:11]

Re: RAGNAROK discussion by The Boy Slayer
[Mon Aug 14 2017, 00:56]

Re: Game of Thrones by Guy01
[Sun Aug 13 2017, 21:05]

Re: SiB S5: The Writer's tale by Jadams
[Fri Aug 11 2017, 13:09]

Re: SiB S5: The Writer's tale by el Monstruo-0
[Fri Aug 11 2017, 09:39]

Re: SiB Season Five (The Season That Wasn't) by el Monstruo-0
[Fri Aug 11 2017, 08:13]

Re: SiB Season Five (The Season That Wasn't) by ChrisH
[Thu Aug 10 2017, 13:53]

[Wed Aug 9 2017, 11:29]

Re: RAGNAROK discussion by ChrisH
[Wed Aug 9 2017, 10:16]

[Wed Aug 9 2017, 08:16]

Re: RAGNAROK discussion by Ramble Robb
[Mon Aug 7 2017, 22:48]

Re: RAGNAROK: An MZPtv Buffyverse Mini-Series by el Monstruo-0
[Mon Aug 7 2017, 15:38]

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Spiders: 24
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.
  • MZPtv/Fiction Vortex - Serial Box Prose Competition 5 2
Currently:  

Author Topic: MZPtv/Fiction Vortex - Serial Box Prose Competition  (Read 6832 times)

Offline Tony Black

• Writer. Mentor. Manchild.
  • Community Leader
  • Always bet on black.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 862
MZPtv/Fiction Vortex - Serial Box Prose Competition
« on: Tue Oct 13 2015, 14:57 »

Do you write prose? Do you want the chance to create a brand new series which will be self-published and sold as part of a wider, connected universe? Welcome then, MZPites, to an exciting new opportunity!

You see Lee Chrimes and I have joined forces with a really cool new project called FICTION VORTEX, who you can find here: http://www.fictionvortex.com

They recently ran a Kickstarter project to fund a new initiative called the 'serial box'; imagine our own scripted series wrapped up in box sets and simply replace scripts for prose, and you're on the right track. Weekly episodic stories, four shows as part of a bigger universe, a la Marvel or the Jossverse. With the help too of some MZP folk, they raised over $5000 to make the serial boxes a reality. And the best part?

One of them is an MZPtv Serial Box that launches in January... a box YOU now have the opportunity to be part of! Here's FV head honcho David Mark Brown to explain a little more of what they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=sczQm9njXIs

Lee and I are looking for someone excited at the prospect of writing a continuing prose serial. We have two shows already being written as part of a connected universe and yours, whatever it may be, would be the third. We're looking for someone dedicated, someone who can write fast & write with passion, someone who will be willing to work tirelessly in creating a brand new fictional universe from the ground up. What do you get for all the work?

Put simply, you get to sell your work and call yourself a (self) published writer. Fiction Vortex will host the serial box on their site and you will make a small profit percentage from every serial you sell.

This is just the beginning too. Lee and I see this model as a major way forward for MZP and we ultimately hope to launch similar next year ourselves - you, along with the admin team, could help shape that future.

So! Here are the rules. The competition will be a three stage process:

1) THE PITCH - you present your show idea, with the emphasis on clearly presenting your concept, characters and where the show may go on a weekly serialised basis. How you present the pitch is up to you, however with this there are a couple of minimum requirements, so please ensure you include the following:

LOGLINE: a one sentence description of your show, i.e. two FBI agents investigate paranormal phenomenon.
PARAGRAPHS: minimum of two describing the idea.
CHARACTER BIOS: ideally a small paragraph giving us an insight into who your characters are.

If you are selected beyond this stage, we will ask for...

2) THE TREATMENT - a detailed treatment of your intended pilot episode for the show, with the emphasis on crafting an exciting story, intriguing character arcs and a thematically rich idea.

If you are selected beyond this stage, we will ask for...

3) THE PROSE - the first 2500 words of your pilot episode, with the emphasis on clear, well-written prose which propels your story while crafting rounded, interesting characters.

We will then select the best piece of prose in that word limit, combined with the strongest show concept and collection of characters, to be offered the third show development spot in the serial box. Lee, myself and Fiction Vortex head honchos David Mark Brown & Mike Cluff will be on the judging panel, with Lee ultimately having the final decision on which show is selected as chief of MZP.

Please do bear in mind that being selected for the commission means a firm commitment with regular deadlines. If you feel in any way that adhering to these will be a problem, I would politely discourage you pitching at this stage.

Okay, if that's whetted your appetite, let's present the parameters for the show you'll be creating. The name of our upcoming serial box is...

FUTUREPUNK
The year is 2045. The future is here. Technology takes greater strides every day. Corporations grow larger. The world stands on the cusp of a new age. Yet danger lurks. Shadowy organisations, underworld creatures and ancient mysteries are awakening. Tomorrow is rising, but what will it look like?

In terms of a visual & aesthetic touchstone, 'Futurepunk' riffs off the more well-known 'Cyberpunk', which by definition is all dystopian near future settings, where everybody's kinda screwed. The vibe we wanted with 'futurepunk' is more like 'post-cyberpunk', which is a more recent literary movement inspired by the big cyberpunk writers of the 80s/90s (so William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, Bruce Stirling etc.), which focuses more on optimism, integrated use of tech into everyday life and generally is a degree more upbeat and hopeful. Examples: Tomorrowland, Fringe, Almost Human, Minority Report etc...

That's all you're getting. Let your imaginations run wild. Be as creative as you can. Let's see something fresh and original.

HOW TO SUBMIT ENTRIES:
-- Send your pitches via personal message to Tony Black no later than SUNDAY OCTOBER 25th, 11.59BST. No submissions will be accepted after that time.
-- DO NOT post pitches in this thread OR in any other threads on the forum. They will not be considered.

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread for clarification, or to learn more.

Otherwise, good luck and may the best writer win!
« Last Edit: Tue Oct 13 2015, 19:55 by Tony Black »

Offline Vaughn

• Admin Badger
  • Community Leader
    • The Parcel View
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 280
Re: MZPtv/Fiction Vortex - Serial Box Prose Competition
« Reply #1 on: Tue Oct 13 2015, 15:24 »
Excellent opportunity to become a fully fledged published author. Totes legit.

Times like this I wish I weren't perennially writer blocked. But myself (and the other admins) will happily help the chosen one with their story ideas. Best of luck, really hope this reaches fruition.

Offline Wilson

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Real Man's Man.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #2 on: Tue Oct 13 2015, 15:30 »
Times like this I wish I weren't perennially writer blocked.

Freya receives a new parcel from Sunny... A stripogram. And-- GO!

I'm not reliable enough to take part in something like this, but the opportunity here is fantastic. Best of luck to everyone who takes part! Futurepunk sounds good too.

Offline Andrew

• MZPtv Community Member
    • Spyder Comics
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #3 on: Tue Oct 13 2015, 15:49 »
I would love to submit I have a great idea but I'm nowhere good enough so I really think this would be a great opportunity for someone.  Excited to see where this goes.

Offline Tony Black

• Community Leader
  • Always bet on black.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Tue Oct 13 2015, 16:05 »
Have a go Andrew! What do you have to lose? (except the competition, but forget that! :D)

Offline Andrew

• MZPtv Community Member
    • Spyder Comics
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Tue Oct 13 2015, 16:29 »
I would but I don't think I meet the criteria.  I'm struggling to be motivated about small things let alone to be hopping to get this type of thing completed.  Wow, it would be an awesome opportunity but if something maybe happened on a smaller scale, maybe then I would try to think that I was good enough.  Thanks though for the opportunity.

Offline Ian_Austin

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 246
« Reply #6 on: Tue Oct 13 2015, 16:30 »
And there's an idea...

Offline Andrew

• MZPtv Community Member
    • Spyder Comics
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Tue Oct 13 2015, 17:38 »
Or even a co-partnership - the one idea could even be run by several people - each person responsible for a chapter/episode int he journey but then again you would need to find 2 or 3 people that like your idea.  Maybe you could do that is allow people to maybe post their ideas and if someone wants to jump on board with that idea they could help in that project and pitch.  It might take a load off the one person that would feel the weight of doing it all themselves.  I've seen the stuff on Vortex and it's huge each episode being almost 90+ pages and that's prose not script which is going to be more IMO.  Right?

Offline Tony Black

• Community Leader
  • Always bet on black.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Tue Oct 13 2015, 19:38 »
It's a nice idea but in this instance we're looking for one writer to craft something of their own.

Andrew highlights a good point though - the FV content is by largely writers who are full time authors. The amount of episodes the winner of this competition produced would be totally up for negotiation. Whoever wins will not be dropped in at any deep end, they will simply have the passion, willing & drive to dedicate time to their idea.

People will be paying for your work, after all.

Offline DarkwingChuck

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 336
« Reply #9 on: Tue Oct 13 2015, 21:11 »
I'm tempted to pitch but I've never been reliable with the actual following through and finishing the writing. But then again I have in the past had an easier time with writing prose. I have an idea which wasn't futurepunk before but could easily be by changing something that was mysticism based to technology/science based.
Hold the door!

Offline Tony Black

• Community Leader
  • Always bet on black.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Tue Oct 13 2015, 21:46 »
Why not give it a shot dude? You may surprise yourself!

Offline Jesse Estes

• MZPtv Community Member
  • The Guardians Guy
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #11 on: Wed Oct 14 2015, 00:09 »
I'd be worried about producing content efficiently myself, as I've never been a fast writer (still working on Guardians season one over ten years later), but as has been mentioned above, this is too good of an opportunity to not at least try. I'd say everyone should at least try to think up a concept. It's not often you get to be in this small of a selection pool.

Offline Ian_Austin

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 246
« Reply #12 on: Wed Oct 14 2015, 05:43 »
Prose is not my strong suit, but anyone who aspires to do this for a living should have a go. And pitching practice is important.

Offline Tony Black

• Community Leader
  • Always bet on black.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Wed Oct 14 2015, 06:48 »
Absolutely right gents.

You know we could have opened this up wide across different networks, on prose networks & places like that, but we want this to be something an MZP member, someone who has read our stuff or written on here or even comments in discussions etc... a member of the community, to have a run at. Scripts will always be important here but if we're going to embrace a model where, for some prose content, audiences will pay then we see this as a key starting point for MZP transitioning to that, evolving.

So why not at least pitch? You never know where it may lead...

Offline Andrew Corvero

• Differently Sane Scientist
  • MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #14 on: Wed Oct 14 2015, 10:50 »
I decided to be brave and give it a shot. Check your PMs, Tony!

Offline Andrew

• MZPtv Community Member
    • Spyder Comics
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Wed Oct 14 2015, 12:54 »
This is my last post in here because I feel like it's kind of hijacking the post but the reason I struggle with stuff like this is that I can convey a good pitch.  Every time I do I'm told how vague it is and I've tried to copy other pitches and try to do it and it just doesn't work :( so I guess the truth is how I would write the story if I struggle with a pitch - although - I would love to do it.  I have tons of ideas.  Maybe not tons.  You know what I mean.  Okay I'm done.

Offline DarkwingChuck

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 336
« Reply #16 on: Wed Oct 14 2015, 13:54 »
Okay I've decided to pitch. Not the idea I mentioned earlier though. Another old idea I have. I think it's better suited to the format.
Hold the door!

Offline Tony Black

• Community Leader
  • Always bet on black.
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Wed Oct 14 2015, 14:59 »
Okay I've decided to pitch. Not the idea I mentioned earlier though. Another old idea I have. I think it's better suited to the format.

Really looking forward to seeing it dude.

Offline Tony Black

• Community Leader
  • Always bet on black.
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Fri Oct 16 2015, 07:45 »
9 DAYS LEFT!

Come on guys, let's see some more submissions. Great opportunity to be paid for the writing you do here! Exclusive (for now) to MZP members, so don't let this chance pass you by.

Offline Stevie_G

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #19 on: Fri Oct 16 2015, 13:12 »
Okay, I've come up with 2 ideas. One I don't think fits in with the concept of 'Futurepunk' though, as is more a bleak outlook with little use of technology and more focused on the characters who are dark and deadly - I may consider throwing this one up as a pitch on here as a possible Mini-Series as appears more suited.

The other I think may work with the concept as could fit in with the idea suggested - the one issue being I don't know if I could write prose albeit the idea of throwing a pitch up even just for the experience intrigues me.

The biggest issue is both were used in pitches thrown up a few years back, one here the other elsewhere that I've never taken further at this time, so may not be acceptable.

Offline Tony Black

• Community Leader
  • Always bet on black.
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Fri Oct 16 2015, 13:31 »
If they're historical pitches, it should be fine. If it gets through however, I'd probably ask you to remove the original pitch from the site.

Hope to see you enter!

Offline Stevie_G

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #21 on: Fri Oct 16 2015, 19:17 »
Okay, entered.  Sent both ideas I had, as one I do believe doesn't fit in what you want - but thought I'd get your advice on if it's acceptable as a first choice anyway, if not that's fine.  I think the other is more what you're looking for - I hope. :)

Offline Jesse Estes

• MZPtv Community Member
  • The Guardians Guy
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #22 on: Fri Oct 16 2015, 23:06 »
See, now, I almost screwed this up by missing the part where only the Pitch is due right now. That would have been a serious face palm moment.

Anyway, first draft of that is done and will be submitted after I've had a chance to have another person look it over and make some tweaks.

Offline Tony Black

• Community Leader
  • Always bet on black.
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sun Oct 18 2015, 10:12 »
ONE WEEK TO GO!

Thanks to those of you who have entered so far, and I'm looking forward to those intending to enter.

Again, great opportunity this guys you don't want to miss!

Offline Tony Black

• Community Leader
  • Always bet on black.
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Tue Oct 20 2015, 07:28 »
FIVE DAYS TO GO!

We have some cool pitches already but there are a lot more writers here - throw your hats in the ring and get the chance to call yourself a published writer!