* Directory

Lost an episode? Need quick mobile access? On the hunt? Check out...

The MZPtv Directory

Every script. Every episode.
Every movie.

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Re: The Great MZPtv Reboot 2018 by Jay
[Sun Dec 10 2017, 04:58]

Re: The Great MZPtv Reboot 2018 by Stevie_G
[Sat Dec 9 2017, 00:51]

Re: The Great MZPtv Reboot 2018 by Stevie_G
[Sat Dec 9 2017, 00:39]

Re: The Great MZPtv Reboot 2018 by Tony Black
[Fri Dec 8 2017, 14:02]

Re: The Great MZPtv Reboot 2018 by worldbreaker
[Thu Dec 7 2017, 18:52]

Re: The Great MZPtv Reboot 2018 by el Monstruo-0
[Thu Dec 7 2017, 16:47]

[Thu Dec 7 2017, 16:45]

[Thu Dec 7 2017, 16:40]

[Thu Dec 7 2017, 16:11]

[Thu Dec 7 2017, 15:55]

Re: The Great MZPtv Reboot 2018 by Tony Black
[Thu Dec 7 2017, 13:56]

Re: The Great MZPtv Reboot 2018 by Jadams
[Tue Dec 5 2017, 20:26]

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 11
  • Dot Spiders: 3
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: SiB S1 Discussion  (Read 5860 times)

Offline Vinny

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Lost and found down the road of life.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SiB S1 Discussion
« Reply #25 on: Sun Jun 7 2009, 23:29 »
1x05

So! Very exciting ep. I like it that you're playing with the vampire mythology, trying to veer it away from the Whedonverse by having vampires who simply choose to be good and to not go around killing people. I'm surprised Chris didn't know about that, but I'm glad he and Twist do now. One question, though - if Twist and Chris are off human blood, then I suppose they're feeding off animal blood? I know Chris mentioned in a previous episode that although he's not as dependant on it as a full vampire, he still needs it from time to time in order to survive.

I assume Malkuth wanting the Rebels dead was due to the fact he sees them as traitors?

All in all, thoroughly enjoyable.

Offline el Monstruo-0

• Word Squirrel Omnishambles
  • MZPtv Founder
  • The ribs that flipped over Fred Flintstone's car
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #26 on: Mon Jun 8 2009, 18:07 »
Malkuth needs the rebels out of the way because of a variety of reasons, though the full picture will come out in Season Five. there's plenty of hints during S1 to all that, though.

As for the blood thing, I kind of made a point of not showing my vamp characters drinking blood all that often. It's something that's assumed and implied but not shown very much - I felt  like I didn't really need to show it, you know?

Offline el Monstruo-0

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Thu Jun 18 2009, 18:59 »
The rebel vampire concept is a big thing throughout the seasons - episodes 9 and 10 expand on it further. Just as well, given as its the main arc for the final season!

Offline el Monstruo-0

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Mon Jun 22 2009, 08:22 »
As I've said, Malkuth did get a bit too comic, but by the last stretch of the season his Evil Plan is suitably dramatic so he earns some Villain Points back for that. Eventually.

Danyael is a great character - and easily the one who changes the most over the four seasons so far from the easy-going, reserved cool dude yous ee in 1x09. The Twist/Danyael relationship (known as 'Twook' to the shippers because she nicknames him 'Spook') is also another fab dynamic about the show - they're very alike in a lot of ways, work well as team-mates but she still plays him up something rotten every chance she gets.

Offline Roon

• MZPtv Community Member
    • Fate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #29 on: Sat Jun 27 2009, 08:11 »
Hi guys

Please point your browsers towards:
http://somewhere-inbetween.mzp-tv.co.uk/s1/episodes/1x01.pdf

Lee's questions:
What makes this different from other vampire shows?
SiB started life as a Buffy spin-off - is this still noticeable?
What do you think about the character of Chris/Twist?
How about the tone and style of the show?
How well does this work as a pilot episode?

General questions:
What did you know about the show before reading?
Did you have fun reading the episode?
If the episode wasn't what you usually read (because you don't like the genre etc), was this episode a pleasant surprise?
Would you continue reading the rest of the series based on this episode?
Did the episode give you a clear understanding of what the show was about?
Do you have a good indication of what the tone of the show is and do you think it fits the concept?
Were the main characters clearly established? Do you think they stand out as fully development individuals?
What, for you, were the main strengths and "selling points" of this episode?
Were you able to picture everything clearly and just lose yourself in the characters and plot?
Did you have any favourite quotes/scenes/characters?
Did the episode do something completely unexpected/different? Did it manage to reimagine a tired concept into something fresh?

Offline Roon

• MZPtv Community Member
    • Fate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #30 on: Sun Jun 28 2009, 15:26 »
So how much did I know about the show before I read it?
Well, I knew it when it was still Chris & Sunday, and I think Lee credited me as one of the the evil hags that ripped it apart in order for it to rise from the ashes as Somewhere in between. Of course, I should probably point out that it was Editor Roon and not Reader Roon. Editor Roon is my evil twin and I don't know what she gets up to.

I'll also mention that the only reason I don't read it now is because, like I've said in other shows, I seem to be suffering from vampire and slayer overload (yes, hysterical considering what I write). Blame Twilight, Moonlight and every other vampire story in the last decade for the first, and Buffy Season 7 for the second.

What makes this different from other vampire shows?
Before Moonlight and Twilight, I think SIB was the first show to have vampire hybrids that were able to walk around in sunlight. I definitely think it is the only show to classify vampires by their blood, and use it to further explain their characteristic traits too. Also, Chris a mage of sorts too, making him ultra-unique as an entity. Another thing that isn't often done, is to show the "hero" kill two humans in the first episode - first a scumbag, and the other a nurse in flashback. So well done for being quite daring, especially in the early days of VS. Yes guys, SIB is one of the oldies!

SiB started life as a Buffy spin-off - is this still noticeable?
I think it's managed to distance itself quite well, epecially in terms of character, style and mythology. There will always be comparisons though if you use vampires - it's a given and there's nothing wrong with it. On rereading this though, my first visual impressions were of the visual style and movements of V is for Vengeance. In fact, I had Hugo Weaving's voice in my head for the narration too. Sorry Lee, from now on, he's Chris to me. I told you my head did its own thing :p

What do you think about the character of Chris/Twist?
Well, Just-turned-into-a-vampire Chris was a bit of a wet fish, but the future Chris is a lot better in terms of who he is and what he's capable of. Twist is just cool. Period. A peppy vampire who is quite the contrast to the quiet Brit we've seen earlier. Plus, she didn't have the benefit of Sanctus's righteousnous when she tried to save her mom and sister, and she must have known she'd have no hope against them all. Not a pleasant way to die, but there she is, surviving hell and still making wisecracks.

How about the tone and style of the show?
Despite Twist's peppy narration, the show appears dark, treading where other writers wouldn't dare in the first episode. Heck, it took the writers of Angel years to show him kill an innocent while he had a soul. Of course, Twist appearing in hell added a very surreal side to it.

How well does this work as a pilot episode?
I think it works well as an episode, but perhaps not a pilot. Maybe episode 2 or later, when we know who these characters are and care for them enough to have the origin questions answered. When we first hear Twist, there's no base of context for her. We also delve into Chris's early life without knowing more about him in the now. I also find it a tad difficult to grow attached to characters if they narrate instead of letting me know them myself. I think I said it all the way back in Daredevil's review that I prefer sparse voice-overs in general, but I know that it is a completely personal preference.

Thanks for the read Lee. It was quite the memory trip - and considering what a holey sponge I have in my head... :p

Offline el Monstruo-0

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Sun Jun 28 2009, 23:00 »
'Introductions' was a new episode written specifically for the show's rebirth as Somewhere InBetween, as was 1x02 'Part-Time Nemesis,' and while it makes some classic New Pilot mistakes (i.e. reliance on flashbacks), the sparkling banter between Chris and Twist had already been honed over the other 19 episodes I'd written when it was still Chris & Sunday. that definitely helped - I knew plenty about how these two worked going into the pilot, something that very rarely happens in any kind of writing.

As a story in its own right and an introduction to the characters I think it works, as a pilot that's indicative of the show week by week less so. 1x02 does a better job of that, really. If I had my time again I'd open the season with 1x02 and spread the flashback/exposition stuff from 1x01 across the first two-thirds of the season - but that's just the voice of experience talking. In terms of actual content, I think this is entertaining enough to get away with it!

Also, the conscious efforts I took to distance this from the Jossverse led me to cook up all kinds of new spins on vampire science. SiB vamps don't dust when they get staked, you don't see them drinking blood that often, and crucially the concept that vampires can be good or bad depending on who they were beforehand and who turns them is a core idea of the show that's relevant right the way through to the finale. It opened up the morals of the show, gave me the Trads vs. Rebels conflict and meant my vampires were a very different animal to what we'd all become used to.

now all I need to do is find time to get to work on the final season...

Offline Vinny

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Lost and found down the road of life.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: Wed Jul 1 2009, 01:12 »
Just wanted to let you know that I'm still slowly catching up with this show. I've currently finished reading 1x07 and hopefully I'll finish all of S1 by the end of July. So far, like any first season of any show, this has been a bumpy road with moments of pure awesomeness and some other moments were things could've been better. There's a particular line of dialogue said by Chris in 1x07 that immediately comes to mind as an example of the latter, as it was too expositionary. Nevertheless, I'm sticking with this show at least until 2x01. I enjoy reading SiB, after all, and that's really all that matters.

Offline el Monstruo-0

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Wed Jul 1 2009, 18:25 »
you'll notice a big change in writing style again in the last three episodes - 1x03 to 1x19 were all written a year before the series restarted as SiB, whereas 1x01, 1x02 and 1x20-1x22 were written a year later.

afaceforradio

« Reply #34 on: Wed Jul 1 2009, 18:43 »
Hmm odd.. I did reply but it didn't seem to register. Try again!

I just read 1x01 and found it to be really funny (I liked especially the little bit when Twist was sucked into the portal in the hell bar and the demons were like 'who was that'?)

NICE way of doing hell. I liked the meet 'n' greet demons, very bitchy hehe.

Dialogue was good - little too much V.O for my taste, but by no means uninspired or boring.

Onto 1x02!

trix258

« Reply #35 on: Fri Jul 3 2009, 17:16 »
I've been so concerned with the tennis I nearly forgot to post this!

I didn't know much about this show apart from what the pitch had said. You just have to keep an open mind though with vampire shows after the many that have been around recently.
SiB is an interesting show, what began as a spin-off of Buffy evolved into it's own world which I think works best for the show. All vampire shows are going to be compared to Buffy or Angel, in some way. Be it Buffy's use of quips or maybe Angel's idea of a vampire with a soul.
From the teaser we know that Chris is a vampire and that there is something different about him. Then not too far into the first act there is mention of that dreaded word "soul." I say dreaded as with a worse writer, who didn't have a plan for the character, things could have become a rehash.

Instead we get characters who are so much more than just vampires. They each have something extra to them and not just through the writing. Chris has the ability to cast spells and Twist has been returned to Earth after spending some time dead and in Hell. Taking the episode as a pre-curser to the main story rather than a pilot, as I feel that's what it works better as, we are presented with very well developed characters. By the end of act four we've had a full blown history lesson about our two leads. We now care about what is going to happen to these characters in the next twenty-one episodes. I think it's pretty clear that these characters have been written and worked on for more than just one episode. They just click which helps connect this episode as we spend a lot of time with them individually. The banter that they share doesn't seem forced and as opposites there is plenty more left in the tank for future. She is a modern vampire with only a few years under her belt. Those years were spent causing a lot of destruction. On the other side Chris is much more within himself (isn't everyone compared to Twist) and old-fashioned. He never went through the same destructive phase that Twist did but he has had plenty time to grow-up, learn about his situation and begin his search for some kind of answers.

Even though there is a lot of backstory to this first episode it's not boring. We get action, deaths (even one of our leads) and a glimpse into Hell. The look into Hell is probably one of the more popular scenes. You have to be careful with taking that kind of leap as by showing your vision of Hell you can alienate some people who don't agree with your version. This version remains frightening but is rather amusing with the demon guards at the gate and the fact that there are bars.
Twist's comments throughout the episode, that continue throughout the season, make her a standout character.

Even with Twist's attitude, which is rather upbeat for just being dragged out of Hell, the show really feels like it's going to be quite dark. It seems the duo is going to have a long road ahead of them to find a cure.
It was a fun episode to read and as a reader I really connected to both Chris and Twist and them as a duo. It took me a while but I finally got round to reading the first season and plan to catch up for season five.

Offline el Monstruo-0

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Fri Jul 3 2009, 18:30 »
S5 won't be kicking off until later in the year, you've got loads of time yet ^_^

Offline Carey

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #37 on: Thu Jul 23 2009, 03:09 »
I have read the first two episodes, it's a little shaky but ive heard how it is at first.

Offline el Monstruo-0

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Mon Aug 24 2009, 19:25 »
it's 'see-egg-way' ^_^

Offline Pete D. Gaskell

• Community Leader
  • You Can't Take The Sky From Me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #39 on: Thu Sep 10 2009, 11:03 »
Right - as a big fan of Lee's Jossverse writing, and the later seasons of SiB, I thought I'd go back and see how it all began...

1x01 INTRODUCTIONS

STRENGTHS
- Twist's story is fascinating, and it's a shame it's crushed into 1 1/2 acts. Apart from the banality of the start, there's plenty to enjoy in her tale.

- And the imagery and imagination in Hell is the highlight of the episode. By far. Strange, twisted, blackly comic - in a sense, pure Chrimesian.

- The banter between Chris and Twist at the end is a good indicator for the rest of the series - as they begin to crackle against each other.

- Elements of Chris' tale are good also - particularly his meetings with Sanctus.

WEAKNESSES
- As a pilot, though, this does fail on several points. I know this wasn't the original choice for premiere, and it shows throughout. I'm fully behind the idea that a pilot should act as a blueprint for the rest of the series, and this certainly isn't the case here. It's a character study more than anything, but it tells you almost nothing about what the show's going to be like from week-to-week.

- Use of flashbacks in a pilot is also something that has to be handled with care, and with relevance to a plot, whilst here it's just the two characters swapping life-stories, and there's no urgency, and the stakes are never high because you know the characters must appear at some point, as they are conversing through V.O.

- I suppose in today's climate, this would be presented in a series of webisodes, with key flashbacks appearing in future episodes.

- Re: the flashbacks, too much time is spent on Chris' tale at the expense of Twist's - I think more of a half-and-half tale would be better in this instance.

OVERALL:

Heh. A disappointment, particularly when I know how good this will become with time - there are flashes of promise, but it's not a good indication of where the series will go - and if the rumours of a rewrite are true, it would be very interesting to see how this changes.

FINAL RATING

C-

Offline el Monstruo-0

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Thu Sep 10 2009, 20:21 »
Yeah, 'Introductions' doesn't work that well as a pilot - 1x02 does a much better job of that.