* Directory

Lost an episode? Need quick mobile access? On the hunt? Check out...

The MZPtv Directory

Every script. Every episode.
Every movie.

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 14
  • Dot Spiders: 1
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: SiB S1 Discussion  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Tony Black

• Writer. Mentor. Manchild.
  • Community Leader
  • Always bet on black.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 865
SiB S1 Discussion
« on: Wed Mar 11 2009, 18:33 »
A place to discuss the first season of Somewhere InBetween!

the11thdoctor

Re: SiB S1 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: Wed Apr 1 2009, 06:41 »
My review of the first season of a flagship MZP show:

(click to show/hide)

Unknown555

« Reply #2 on: Thu Apr 2 2009, 02:28 »
Just started reading this series and for a person that doesn't really like supernatural shows, I really like this and I'm usually a hard person to please. I'll get a full review when I'm done reading the season.

Good job,
-Andrew

trix258

« Reply #3 on: Tue May 26 2009, 12:52 »
You are ahead of me Tegan  :laugh:

I've been meaning to read this for ages. I'll get around to it in the end!

Offline Vinny

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Lost and found down the road of life.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: Sat May 30 2009, 17:35 »
It's funny how, being the huge fan of vampire mythology that I am, and seeing how this show started right around the time I stumbled into the VS world, I never really dove into the waters of Somewhere InBetween as much as I'd like to. I'm trying to rectify this (better late than never, I suppose), so here I am.

I enjoyed 'Introductions' to an extent. Chris's past was interesting and provided a good read. Even if at times he came off a little like Angel, I guess that comes more from the fact they're both a one of a kind creature, not fully demon, not exactly human, seeking for redemption. However, Twist's story for some reason seemed a bit off. It's personal preference, obviously, but Chrimes' version of hell simply didn't work for me. The demons were being too witty and so was Twist, to be sincere, something that required me to suspend any sense of realism for a moment when she sees a man being killed in front of her, is about to be attacked and starts throwing funny quips. If anything, a lot of Twist's scenes serve to show how much Chrimes has evolved as a writer since '04. Don't get me wrong, though, this is by no means a badly written script, but I've seen far superior scripts penned by Chrimes.

Another thing - this episode doesn't really feel so much as a series starter, but a prologue in a novel. It really feels like an introduction in every sense of the word. I hear that episode two provides a much better premiere than the pilot, but once again: this is not a bad episode.

I'll report back once I've read 1x02.

trix258

« Reply #5 on: Sat May 30 2009, 17:48 »
Well given that there are two other people (at least) intending to read this in the coming weeks/months/years (delete as you see fit) I've decided to get in on SiB too.

So if anyone decides they want to have a chat about parts of the show be sure to make some posts and I'll be up for some discussion :)

Offline RJ Alden Lackie

• Community Supervisor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #6 on: Sat May 30 2009, 17:54 »
I'll wait up for you guys - I'm at 1x06. Might be fun for the group of us to read together and chat. :) I like the Chris/Twist dynamic of the moment, personally, but I might like to see a bit more of a cast form.

Offline Matt Latham

• do you really wanna ... with the wolf?
  • Admin Consultant
  • my love is cool
    • The Bottle Episode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 402
« Reply #7 on: Sat May 30 2009, 17:59 »
I've noticed something. Harry's Family Spell and his new pitch (the name escapes me) share something in common here: the first episode seems less a pilot, more an episode set before the pilot being shown in chronological order.

I think the first episode needs to have it's second to run next to it.

Anyways; here's my old reviews of season one:

(click to show/hide)

Offline RJ Alden Lackie

• Community Supervisor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #8 on: Sat May 30 2009, 18:03 »
Yay! I read pretty much all of Matt's reviews on the old XP (one reason I took so long to read SiB; had to forget the spoilers!), and have been quite sad they've been missing from the 'net since italkintype premiered.

Offline Vinny

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sat May 30 2009, 20:42 »
I read 1x02. I've got one major beef - Malkuth. If he's gonna be the season's Big Bad, then I really hope he stops being a caricature of a villain. Seriously, his last lines in the episode were reminiscent of those from a Scooby Doo villain. I was actually expecting him to go "I'd have made it if it weren't for those nosy brats!". Like I said and will keep saying, I know Lee's writing, and it's unfair to compare his earlier work to what came before, but I dislike Malkuth for all the wrong reasons. He doesn't come off as menacing. At all. Which is a big problem considering we need to think he's got a chance of taking Chris and Twist down. Also, I'm not sure what was the relevance of Naomi, but I'm guessing she'll be used in future episodes. Am I the only one who didn't like Malkuth?

trix258

« Reply #10 on: Sun May 31 2009, 01:00 »
So some thoughts on episode one.

Now unsurprisingly the first thought about Chris is how much will he turn out to be like Angel. With the guy being a Vampire who saves a girl from his kind and then the mention of something to do with his soul it's a thought that can't be helped. I think it's safe to say that Chris won't be like Angel, even by just the few situations we've seen him in already.

It's an interesting choice to show us Hell. I think it's one of those things where some people will happily accept what direction you take Hell in while others don't really want to be told what they should imagine. As long as it fits with the story and is kept to usual idea of Hell that most people have I think it doesn't really matter too much.

I agree with what others have said, this does feel a lot like it's setting up the story for us before getting into things in the second episode. It seems the second episode will be the one to show what the season is going to be like. But it is nice to get the story set up nicely and from here onwards we can work on the important points of what the future holds.
« Last Edit: Sun May 31 2009, 01:01 by Trix »

Offline el Monstruo-0

• Word Squirrel Omnishambles
  • MZPtv Founder
  • The ribs that flipped over Fred Flintstone's car
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 246
« Reply #11 on: Sun May 31 2009, 11:35 »
Malkuth gets better. Don't forget I was writing this five years ago - I've got much better since then ^_^

Offline Vinny

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sun May 31 2009, 13:33 »
Oh, I know. Don't worry, I know you're capable of much better writing. :)

trix258

« Reply #13 on: Sun May 31 2009, 13:49 »
1x02

I really liked the teaser of this episode. We get a fun fight screen that results in some destruction and we get a look at Chris and Twist's budding friendship.

The intro of "Smoker" makes him sound a lot like a Bond villain or something. Smoking in the shadows, all he needs is a cat to stroke. I'd agree a bit with Vin in that something did seem a bit off about Malkuth on first impression but as long as he evolves a bit (as I'm sure he will) then I don't see too much of a problem.

There are some obvious avenues that we'll be going down in future episodes and tension that may come to exist between Chris and Twist if they don't reveal certain secrets. They both have long and interesting pasts that could pop up at some point down the road.

Offline el Monstruo-0

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sun May 31 2009, 17:05 »
I think Malkuth did start off with intentions of being a dry, tongue-in-cheek villain on the surface capable of horrific acts of terror when pushed to it - kind of a less hysterical version of Dark Knight's Joker, I can say now - but we tipped him a bit too much into comedy during the first half of the season, so it's the back 9 where he starts getting more interesting.

trix258

« Reply #15 on: Mon Jun 1 2009, 19:56 »
1x03

This episode has a nice idea. I like that there is an auction going on that has a bunch of stuff that has a whole different layer, not just old relics but dangerous artifacts.

I'm actually surprised Twist didn't have many choice words for Travers after he was so nice to her in the beginning.

The ending was a nice surprise and makes total sense given what we know about Twist. I hadn't really thought about how people from "downstairs" would react so it's cool that it is coming about right off the bat.

1x04

Glad to see that the two are out actively trying to find out what is going on rather than waiting for something to fall into their laps.

So Lambert maybe has some personal reasons for being the  one going after Twist. Whatever teh case not going back to hell is a pretty good reason to do everything possible to come out on top.

I'm liking some of these magic skills Chris has. The pull through the wall is especially good.

A nice touching moment to round out the episode!

Offline el Monstruo-0

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mon Jun 1 2009, 23:19 »
Season One (and a lot of Season Two) is pretty nomadic - I always wanted the show to be about this team travelling the country, always being proactive in seeking stuff out. Chris is still hunting for the cure to vampirism, so he's not going to find that sitting in one place!

What tends to happen towards the end of each season is that events begin to draw the characters towards a certain location - in S1 it's New York, in S2 it's Boston. S3 and S4 spend longer in the same place (S4 has two main locations that are used as 'bases' throughout), so I think S5 is going to recover some of that wandering feel.

Supernatural does much the same thing - which only goes to prove how awesome I am because I did it first ^_^

Offline Vinny

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Tue Jun 2 2009, 01:59 »
1x03

The reveal at the end was pretty cool. I actually hadn't even thought about the fact someone could've been after Twist once she escaped hell, so that's some good continuity over there. I agree with Trix on Twist not inflicting an unbelievable amount of pain on Travers seeing as he tried to fool her and have her killed, I was a little surprised.

Overall, a much better episode than the previous two. The show is already showing signs of improvement, slowly approaching the Lee A. Chrimes level of quality we're all used to. ^_^

Offline el Monstruo-0

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Tue Jun 2 2009, 19:49 »
Well! 1x01 was actually written much later than episodes 1x02-1x19, those were all originally written back in mid-2004 when the show was still a Jossverse series, before I rebooted it as SiB. 'Introductions' started out as a two-parter that had Chris and Sunday (as she was known then) turning up in Sunnydale, going down into the Hellmouth and encountering Malkuth there before moving on, picking up with 'The Art Of Keeping Secrets' and continuing from there.

Thus, we needed two new openers, and the new 'Introductions' and 'Part-Time Nemesis' came along as I worked through the rest of the season, tweaking things to make it an original show and erase all Jossverse ties.

After the first two, 1x20 is actually the first episode written brand new for the show - 1x03-1x19 are all rewrites of the original series. Trivia ^_^

Offline el Monstruo-0

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Tue Jun 2 2009, 21:04 »
Sunday, you mean, not 'Summer' ^_^

The gist of it was that Chris was actually Spike's estranged brother, but aside from the Scoobies and Spike showing up in the original two-part 'Introductions' (which was set just after Buffy Season Six or so), there were no plans for a crossover after that. See, I loved the vampire Sunday from Buffy 4x01 'The Freshman,' and so used her and the character of Chris I'd cooked up to be my leads.

Back then, I was less confident about striking out with my own series, but as we neared the end of S1 (and this is before MZP took off, really), we realised there'd been so little Jossverse influence as to render it almost invisible, meaning we could easily create our own mythology without having to change too much.

Out of interest, even though Katharine Towne was always a shoe-in (given she'd played the Sunday character Twist was inspired by), other candidates for the part of Twist/Sunday included Emilie de Ravin and Samaire Armstrong...

trix258

« Reply #20 on: Thu Jun 4 2009, 22:48 »
I'm really enjoying Twist's quips at the moment. Her and Chris have settled into an unlikely duo quickly and things flow well between them.

1x05

Cary Grant, mention always gets a smile and a thup from me.

Things weren't going that great for Spice but Malkuth turning up really is going to throw a spanner in the works.

That was a sweet ending between Chris and Twist. Even when things get really tough they have each other now. Not only that but now they've found vampires who might just be willing to help out. Fighting for something they believe in and battling to keep a tradition alive.

Interesting that Malkuth manages to turn up right when he can do most damage and then disappears into the night at a click of the fingers but he does manage to anger Chris more.

Shame the police friend didn't really have much of a place in this episode. Things could easily have worked pretty much the exact same without his involvement.

Offline el Monstruo-0

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Fri Jun 5 2009, 07:29 »
You'll notice there are a lot of guest stars in the first season, old friends of Chris' who are a catalyst for the duo's involvement in events. I wanted to get across the idea that Chris had been trekking round the world for the last 30-odd years, meeting allies and helping people out, even if he starts S1 still in quite a single-minded frame of mind with regards finding the Cure.

Matt Latham also observed how I tend to kill them off a lot ^_^

And the rebel vampire thing is a very important plot for the show - it carries right through all five seasons and is one of our biggest differences from Buffy. In the Jossverse, all vampires are evil, full stop. Some can try to be less evil (i.e. lovesick Spike, S6), but at the end of the day they're still soulless creatures without a conscience (or 'soul').

SiB vampires are much more varied - they can be good or bad when Turned, dependent on both the Turnee's personality and that of the Turner, as the emotions, skills, memories and influences of the vampire doing the Turning pass on to the new vampire. Twist bites Chris in 1x01, and that transfers quite a lot of who he is into her, you see - the same way Sanctus did with Chris back when he was first Turned.

Good people can go bad when made into vampires, and vice versa. It gives me much more flexibility in terms of character development with my vampire characters - of which there are many.

Offline Vinny

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sat Jun 6 2009, 02:07 »
I've just read 1x05; however, I can't really find much to say other than it was good and thoroughly enjoyable - if not quite as good as 1x03. I'm starting to warm up to Twist (who, honestly, was coming off as annoying and too childish at the beginning) and I quite like her interaction with Chris, as they've obviously already developed a good friendship. I will admit that I wasn't too keen on Lambert's speech explaining his beef with Twist (I felt that backstory was unnecessary, to be honest), seeing as I'm sure he knew the spell he cast would start to wear off eventually, but other than that, no other major complaints.

trix258

« Reply #23 on: Sun Jun 7 2009, 14:57 »
1x06

Things started off pretty slow this episode. Again we have Malkuth appearing out of nowhere but this time he's after something too.

We get developments for all characters this episode which is always good especially when you reach that point in a season where everyone has settled in and you need things to start moving so there isn't a lull.

Malkuth has a reason for appearing but also we find out some info about how he has been traveling.

Chris reveals his search for a cure isn't just for his own selfish needs. That will be interesting when it is expanded on.

Twist gets the most dramatic with an unknown manifestation of power. Did all the energy from the nightclub patrons kick-start something in Twist? How will Chris react when he finds out about it? It's one of those things that Twist probably doesn't want to share given she has no clue herself but she'll have to be careful it doesn't get any worse!

Offline el Monstruo-0

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sun Jun 7 2009, 16:03 »
the Twist thing kind of comes to a point in 1x21 - it's another hangover from the Buffy spin-off days that I wrote out of the show, but I took my time doing so to make sure it didn't feel too rushed. But it has plenty of interesting places to go before then ^_^