User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Re: The "Book You!" Thread by wzychee
[Today at 19:00]

Re: Decay by wzychee
[Today at 18:52]

Re: Decay by Andrew Corvero
[Today at 18:20]

Re: Decay by wzychee
[Today at 17:21]

Re: General TV Discussion by wzychee
[Today at 17:18]

Re:  General TV Discussion by Matt Latham
[Today at 17:16]

Re: General TV Discussion by wzychee
[Today at 16:46]

Decay by Andrew Corvero
[Today at 16:42]

Re:  General TV Discussion by Matt Latham
[Today at 16:35]

Re: The Music Thread by wzychee
[Today at 16:21]

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 50
  • Dot Spiders: 17
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic:  General TV Discussion  (Read 165122 times)

Offline Dex

• MZPtv Community Member
    • Caydem Falls: The Series
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 122
Re: General TV Discussion
« Reply #1890 on: Thu Sep 8 2016, 18:40 »
  So it looks like Greg Berlanti is shopping around a Black Lightning tv series. I don't know much about the character. He pops up in a few comics I've read but he's rarely given enough panel time to really get a sense of the character. I'm interested in this show though and hope it finds a network.

http://screenrant.com/black-lightning-tv-show-dc-comics/

Update: FOX has ordered a Pilot. I'm guessing with the success of Gotham they'll be pretty eager to get this one to screen. The big question now is will it be connected to Gotham in anyway? My instant reaction is that it wouldn't really make sense but that doesn't really mean it won't happen.

Offline Dex

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #1891 on: Tue Sep 27 2016, 23:20 »
  Checked out out a couple of the Amazon Pilot season episodes yesterday and I loved them both for the most part. First up was Jean-Claude Van Johnson. Jean-Claude plays himself except the whole Van Damme action hero persona is just a front and every "shitty movie" he makes is just a front for some sort of covert operation.  It's all super silly but there's a few classic Van Damme style fight scenes and plenty of funny references to his past work. I hope this one gets picked up.

Next up is the new version of The Tick. I've never seen anything Tick related before this so I can't really compare to past versions but I loved this. The tone is this really weird mix between what Marvel and DC are doing with there movie universes. It all takes place in a very grounded not quite "gritty" world with over the top comedic superheroes and villains in it. Another one I hope to see get the full season treatment.

Apparently there's only three Pilot Season shows this year which is kind of weird. I guess they've already picked up a bunch of stuff straight to series and it looks like they might sort of be phasing out the whole Pilot Season thing.

UPDATE: Both The Tick and Jean-Claude Van Johnson were picked up for a full season order by amazon. Not really a surprise. Like Netflix, Amazon is very aggressively expanding their original content catalog. I'm pretty excited for The Tick but I'm not sure Van Johnson's premise has the legs for a lengthy run. Either way I'm curious enough I'll watch it.

Offline Dex

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #1892 on: Tue Nov 1 2016, 19:18 »
  Anybody else watching Westworld on HBO? I feel like this show was tailor made for me. It's got smart science fiction, a damn good western, and an intriguing as hell mystery. I think it might be my most favorite new show since The Leftovers.

It's especially comforting to know that the writer's shutdown production partway through the season to ensure they had a solid road map for the rest of the series in place. As a TV viewer it's always fun to theorize about every little nugget of information the writers roll out and this show feels like its foreshadowing things that we'll actually get resolution on someday.

Offline Lee A. Chrimes

• Word Squirrel Omnishambles
  • MZPtv Founder
  • The ribs that flipped over Fred Flintstone's car
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 219
« Reply #1893 on: Wed Nov 2 2016, 11:39 »
Yep, loving it so far so we'll start up an official thread for it in a bit :)

Offline Dex

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #1894 on: Sun Nov 27 2016, 22:22 »
  Here's a really good article on one of Westworld's more popular theories. It all gets a bit convoluted and harder to follow as it goes along but it's a solid read. Spoilers for the first eight episodes abound.

http://screenrant.com/westworlds-multiple-timeline-theory-dolores/

I had a few days off due to Thanksgiving and actually re-watched the first eight episodes in one sitting. It's hard to dispute the theory at this point.

The biggest sticking point for me though is...

(click to show/hide)

Anyway, I recommend fans of the show check out screenrant.com They tend to have two or three good articles every week dissecting the various mysteries. I imagine these next two episodes are going to be quite huge as there's a whole lot left to unwrap.

Offline Dex

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #1895 on: Wed Feb 15 2017, 06:12 »
  Anyone watching The Expanse? I recently burned through what it's got to offer and it's pretty damn great!

It's being touted as "Game of the Thrones in Space" but to me it feels more like "24 in Space". Mostly for the way it's A, B and C stories all fit different genres. It's got one story with a more action adventure story, a police procedural/detective mystery, and a more straightforward Political drama. They all blend and weave together very nicely. 

Offline Harper

• MZPtv Community Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #1896 on: Wed Feb 15 2017, 23:22 »
The Expanse is probably my favorite ongoing show*. I couldn't wait for it to come back, it felt like it took forever. Worth the wait, though, Season 2 hasn't skipped a beat.

I get the Game of Thrones comparisons. It's an expansive world with a tonneof backstory, multiple competing factions, characters spread out everywhere. Until recently, the protomolecule has also been a lurking background threat akin to the White Walkers. Also, the books are co-written by GRRM's former assistant, who is also a writer on the show.

*The shows that I most look forward to every week now are The Expanse, The Magicians, and Colony. I like the DC shows, but don't get excited for the next episode of them like I do those three, sometimes I even let multiple episodes of them accumulate before I catch up. Add in the Walking Dead, and I think that's everything I'm watching. Are there any other great shows airing these days that I'm missing or should catch up on?

Offline Lee A. Chrimes

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #1897 on: Thu Feb 16 2017, 10:18 »
Tis on my list, interested to check it out.

I will always go to bat for iZombie, which is a hugely entertaining, strong character-driven show that should appeal to anybody who likes quirky mystery shows.

Offline Guy01

• MZPtv Community Member
  • The Number 1 Guy
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #1898 on: Tue May 23 2017, 00:32 »
Hi everybody! Been away for awhile, hope everyone's been doing good.  :tiphat:

Who's looking forward to Defenders?

Offline Lee A. Chrimes

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #1899 on: Tue May 23 2017, 14:58 »
I am - I feel like I'm in a minority who enjoyed Daredevil S2, thought Luke cage was pretty good and even enjoyed Iron Fist, although I did take the piss out of it a lot while I was watching.

Offline Guy01

• MZPtv Community Member
  • The Number 1 Guy
  • Liked:
« Reply #1900 on: Wed May 24 2017, 03:05 »
I am - I feel like I'm in a minority who enjoyed Daredevil S2, thought Luke cage was pretty good and even enjoyed Iron Fist, although I did take the piss out of it a lot while I was watching.

For me, my personal list goes:

1: Daredevil Season 1 and Jessica Jones.
2: Daredevil Season 2.
3: Luke Cage.
4: Iron Fist.

DD and Jessica's first seasons were flat out amazing and I love them both. Jessica was an incredibly powerful series.

Daredevil Season 2 falls a bit flater to me though, while I still loved the fights, the Hand kinda slowed down the momentum that Punisher had built for them.

Luke just wasn't my cup of tea and I didn't really like Iron Fist myself.

Offline Lee A. Chrimes

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #1901 on: Wed May 24 2017, 08:42 »
Luke Cage was an odd one - very different tonally from the rest, but after a bit I properly got into it. It went a lot more 'comic book' in the second half of the series, but in terms of Iron Fist it's more the fights that let it down. They didn't spend enough time working on things before shooting, and Finn Jones needs to buff up a lot for Season 2 to be believable as a martial artist.

Offline Guy01

• MZPtv Community Member
  • The Number 1 Guy
  • Liked:
« Reply #1902 on: Wed May 24 2017, 18:51 »
Luke Cage was an odd one - very different tonally from the rest, but after a bit I properly got into it. It went a lot more 'comic book' in the second half of the series, but in terms of Iron Fist it's more the fights that let it down. They didn't spend enough time working on things before shooting, and Finn Jones needs to buff up a lot for Season 2 to be believable as a martial artist.

For real. Hopefully his fights in Defenders will be better.

Although the drunken master fight was amazing.  :beer:

Offline Lee A. Chrimes

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #1903 on: Thu May 25 2017, 14:17 »
Yeah, that was with Lewis Tan, the guy who was shortlisted to be Iron Fist, and a lot of fans were kinda pissed they didn't go with him because, well...

I mean, I get that Danny being a rich white kid is all part of his journey as a reluctant outsider and so on, but it would have been a neat update to have an Asian actor (well, half-Asian as Lewis is from Manchester) in the role, especially one whose dad was a martial arts stunt co-ordinator, and who competed as a muay-thai boxer...

Offline Guy01

• MZPtv Community Member
  • The Number 1 Guy
  • Liked:
« Reply #1904 on: Fri May 26 2017, 17:40 »
Yeah, that was with Lewis Tan, the guy who was shortlisted to be Iron Fist, and a lot of fans were kinda pissed they didn't go with him because, well...

I mean, I get that Danny being a rich white kid is all part of his journey as a reluctant outsider and so on, but it would have been a neat update to have an Asian actor (well, half-Asian as Lewis is from Manchester) in the role, especially one whose dad was a martial arts stunt co-ordinator, and who competed as a muay-thai boxer...

Finn Jones looks photoshopped there.

Online wzychee

• Vindictive Ass
  • MZPtv Community Member
  • Some people eat bugs.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #1905 on: Mon Feb 12 2018, 20:52 »
I watched all ten episodes of Altered Carbon over the weekend. I had never heard of the novel, but I'm going to check it out after watching -- though I read that if you were a novel-first person, you would hate the series. The visuals were amazing, and the action was great -- some really sweet sword-fighting, which is always nice. I liked the lead from The Killing, so that helped and the concept itself was fairly novel in its delivery. I'm not a huge cyberpunk fan, though, so I might be on the wrong side of the consensus of those who are -- I wonder how Lee feels about it.

The story got needlessly contrived and Bond-ish at times, which was a huge letdown, and there was some out of left field Matrix woven in for bad measure. I still enjoyed the journey, though, so I'm definitely down for a season two and looking forward to checking out the books.

Offline Vaughn

• Admin Badger
  • Admin Consultant
    • The Parcel View
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 243
« Reply #1906 on: Mon Feb 12 2018, 21:06 »
I watched all ten episodes of Altered Carbon over the weekend. I had never heard of the novel, but I'm going to check it out after watching -- though I read that if you were a novel-first person, you would hate the series. The visuals were amazing, and the action was great -- some really sweet sword-fighting, which is always nice. I liked the lead from The Killing, so that helped and the concept itself was fairly novel in its delivery. I'm not a huge cyberpunk fan, though, so I might be on the wrong side of the consensus of those who are -- I wonder how Lee feels about it.

The story got needlessly contrived and Bond-ish at times, which was a huge letdown, and there was some out of left field Matrix woven in for bad measure. I still enjoyed the journey, though, so I'm definitely down for a season two and looking forward to checking out the books.

I'm 4 episodes in so far. I really like it, but don't quite love it yet.  The action is great though, and has some pretty unique flourishes. Soon as I saw the hotel shootout at the start I knew this show was for me.

I don't get the beef some people have with Joel Kinnaman, he's charismatic as hell (and was the best part of The Killing).

Online wzychee

• Vindictive Ass
  • MZPtv Community Member
  • Some people eat bugs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1907 on: Mon Feb 12 2018, 21:18 »
I fell in and out of love with it during the ride. I think I ended at luke warm feels toward it.

People don't like that guy? I mean, his character was a bit annoying at times in The Killing, but I agree that he was the best part of it -- far less of pain in the ass than was the lead.

Offline Vaughn

• Admin Badger
  • Admin Consultant
    • The Parcel View
  • Liked:
« Reply #1908 on: Mon Feb 12 2018, 21:24 »
I think some people put him in that Sam Worthington/Jai Courtney bracket of bland white actors

But I love the dude

Offline Matt Latham

• Admin Stout
  • Admin Consultant
  • my love is cool
    • The Bottle Episode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 361
« Reply #1909 on: Mon Feb 12 2018, 21:46 »
Saw the first episode this weekend. I love it - the future looks amazing and is full of little quirks I really like. I mean, Edgar Allen Poe is a hotel. I'm sold.

Online wzychee

• Vindictive Ass
  • MZPtv Community Member
  • Some people eat bugs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1910 on: Mon Feb 12 2018, 23:43 »
The Poe thing was really cool. I like that they took AI a step further than it was in the Matrix. In the Matrix, it was just these programs didn't want to die, so they just hang out and behave in ways for reasons, and in Altered Carbon, Poe was created specifically as an AI for this purpose, not some program who was once a tree or something. :D

It was also great that they were programmed to be clingy, so literally no one had stayed there in 50 years. Poe ended up being probably my second favorite part of the entire series.

Online wzychee

• Vindictive Ass
  • MZPtv Community Member
  • Some people eat bugs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1911 on: Wed Feb 14 2018, 17:41 »
I almost always watch tv in the background while I work. I typically go with stuff that I've already watched a million times so it isn't overly distracting from my work, and this week, I'm on Cougar Town -- one of my favorite go-to shows for such occasions. I think I might have been the only person who actually watched the show while it was airing, but I adore that show and anything that Bill Lawrence does -- and I've also got the hugest boner for Busy Phillips, so that helps.

It's mostly just them hanging out and drinking wine, sure, but I love the cast and the style and the white trash jokes with Laurie. Right up my alley.

Offline Vaughn

• Admin Badger
  • Admin Consultant
    • The Parcel View
  • Liked:
« Reply #1912 on: Wed Feb 14 2018, 17:46 »
*puts hand up* I watched it while aired!

I loved it for a while, but I found that as it got more and more schmaltzy as it went on, I got less interested. I never did finish it, actually

Online wzychee

• Vindictive Ass
  • MZPtv Community Member
  • Some people eat bugs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1913 on: Wed Feb 14 2018, 17:50 »
Did we just become best friends? :D

There's little that a comedy can do to put me off once I'm into it. Unless it tries to start being political or preachy, I'll put up with pretty much anything if I like the characters and it's still entertaining. Bill Lawrence shows do have a tendency to get a bit too melodramatic at times for my liking, but I still love them overall.

Offline Vaughn

• Admin Badger
  • Admin Consultant
    • The Parcel View
  • Liked:
« Reply #1914 on: Wed Feb 14 2018, 17:56 »
At least he usually had enough self-awareness of the melodrama to mock himself for it

Offline Matt Latham

• Admin Stout
  • Admin Consultant
  • my love is cool
    • The Bottle Episode
  • Liked:
« Reply #1915 on: Wed Feb 14 2018, 19:30 »
Any love for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend? First time I stopped half way through the pilot. After hearing good stuff I tried again and binged the first season and fell for it. Hard. So funny, so self-referential and manages to end up having a good long look at mental health.

Plus the songs. Oh the songs are so, so good.

Online wzychee

• Vindictive Ass
  • MZPtv Community Member
  • Some people eat bugs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1916 on: Wed Feb 14 2018, 19:38 »
Didn't seem like it would be up my alley. The only thing that made me think about checking it out was that it had Scott Michael Foster, of whom I've been a fan since his Greek days, but since you point out that there are songs, it seems like I made the right choice.

Nothing pisses me off more than singing and/or dancing.

Also, get off my lawn.

Offline Matt Latham

• Admin Stout
  • Admin Consultant
  • my love is cool
    • The Bottle Episode
  • Liked:
« Reply #1917 on: Wed Feb 14 2018, 20:55 »
Didn't seem like it would be up my alley. The only thing that made me think about checking it out was that it had Scott Michael Foster, of whom I've been a fan since his Greek days, but since you point out that there are songs, it seems like I made the right choice.

Nothing pisses me off more than singing and/or dancing.

Also, get off my lawn.

The first song put me off at first, but the second song in the pilot was a 00's R'n'B number that had a guest rapper show up, stop, sees a bunch of women going through hell to make themselves look pretty, then have an epiphany over how he's treated women in the past and goes to phone every woman to apologise for being a dick. At that point I was sold.

The songs are very much genre-busting trope-bashing pieces of fun that are comedy gold. This song especially is the closest I've seen to getting The Idiot Box's Gemma McMahon on screen.

Plus Foster was brought in since one of the main guys left to go back to theatre, and he's been absolutely brilliant in this.

« Last Edit: Wed Feb 14 2018, 20:56 by Matt Latham »

Online wzychee

• Vindictive Ass
  • MZPtv Community Member
  • Some people eat bugs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1918 on: Thu Feb 15 2018, 14:02 »
I just can't do a show with a lot of songs. It really breaks my balls.

The most I can do is something like Cougar Town where Grayson randomly sings a couple lines about things happening in the cul-de-sac with his girly guitar.

On a separate note, has anyone watched The Path on Hulu? I started watching it to see what Jesse Pinkman was getting up to, and I enjoyed season one when I watched it a while back, even though it was hella slow and needlessly vague at times, and started watching it again last night so I could watch the two newer seasons. Curious if anyone has seen the newer seasons and what their take is.

Offline Lee A. Chrimes

• MZPtv Founder
    • MZPtv
  • Liked:
« Reply #1919 on: Thu Feb 15 2018, 14:05 »
I thought I'd hate Crazy Ex-Girlfriend for that exact reason, but the songs are clever, funny and brief enough to get away with it.

Online wzychee

• Vindictive Ass
  • MZPtv Community Member
  • Some people eat bugs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1920 on: Today at 15:19 »
I watched Everything Sucks! on Netflix. Spoilers ahead; abandon all series virginity, ye who enter:

I wasn't really going to bother because I find that the older I get, the more I detest the teenagers in shows and side with their parents. It seems to be an eventuality that when you watched That 70s Show as a teenager, you were like Red is really a hard ass, but then when you watch it later, you realize that Eric really was a dumbass and that Red is awesome. But I digress.

What really made me decide to watch it is that it's set in 1996 with a group of freshman in high school, which is the year that I was a freshman in high school, and I've already been suckered into enjoying the Goldbergs and Stranger Things because of the 80s nostalgia, so I might as well go down the 90s rabbit hole as well. Except that it really didn't follow through with any purpose of being set in the 90s. Aside from having a pretty sweet 90s alternative soundtrack (which devolved horribly toward the end to Tori Amos and Ace of Base), there was really no reason to have it set back in the day; it could have been set in present day and not really changed very much at all (aside from a few technologies that they relied upon), which was a bit of a letdown. When it started, I was a bit worried that it was going to go too far down the Stranger Things hole (which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, as Stranger Things was awesome, but thought that it would become trope-ish fairly quickly).

It had a pretty great ensemble cast, but didn't take advantage of it the way you would hope. The main story was that there was a group of nerds, including one who fell hopelessly in love with a plain Jane type in AV Club on the first day of school, and is hopeless romantic who goes after her in a big way (that part, I really enjoyed, as I recognized every video tribute from the days that MTV played music videos back in the day). It just so happened that his beloved who he was in lesbians with was in lesbians with another...lesbian. And this took up much of the story -- way too much of the story. Really, the two most boring characters in the show were the focus of the show, and I suppose that the most 90s thing about the show is that the leads were a black kid and a confused lesbian, as if it was a novelty as it would have been in the 90s. But in 2018, there's no novelty in this approach, and I was really just annoyed that the more interesting and funny characters fell by the wayside. The two main characters were actually really likable and well-acted -- especially the dude, as that kid was funny -- but again, his herd of nerds was really a more interesting path and the misfit menagerie of Drama Club kids was really the best part of the show, and they were largely ignored except where they played into the main story.

Anyone who watched season two of Stranger Things knows that Steve's tutelage of Dustin was the relationship that they didn't know that they needed prior to going into the season, and there's a mirror image of that relationship in Everything Sucks! (which was a pretty crap title, now that I think about it), and thought it was derivative in that regard, it was probably my favorite angle -- and so was obviously one of the most malnourished parts of the series.

It seemed to have a hard time deciding what it wanted to be about, especially in the beginning, but in episode three, the AV Club (out of necessity) tricks the Drama Club into a joint venture to save themselves from getting beaten up all year, and I was like 'oh, sweet, a plot I can get behind; this should have been introduced in the pilot.' But then that fell by the wayside in favor of the main plot most of the time. I still enjoyed it most of the time, but the goddamn melodrama got cranked up to 11 for long periods of time, leaving me quite bored in those times. I think it would have been better served by better editing and interjecting more side-plots into the mix when it was crushing way too hard on the main plot -- which wasn't really possible because they made it a half-hour "dramedy," when it would have worked much better as an hour-long show, especially at just ten episodes per season.

Overall, I would say 6/10, and I'll watch the next season.
« Last Edit: Today at 15:20 by wzychee »

Offline Matt Latham

• Admin Stout
  • Admin Consultant
  • my love is cool
    • The Bottle Episode
  • Liked:
Re:  General TV Discussion
« Reply #1921 on: Today at 16:35 »
I've just started to watch it. If only to take a break from Ultimate Beastmaster - which I've really gotten into.

Online wzychee

• Vindictive Ass
  • MZPtv Community Member
  • Some people eat bugs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1922 on: Today at 16:46 »
The good news it that it's easily digestible, being such short episodes in a short season. I'm curious to see your thoughts on it, sir

Offline Matt Latham

• Admin Stout
  • Admin Consultant
  • my love is cool
    • The Bottle Episode
  • Liked:
Re:  General TV Discussion
« Reply #1923 on: Today at 17:16 »
The dad looks like a chubbier David Cameron and its super-distracting.

Online wzychee

• Vindictive Ass
  • MZPtv Community Member
  • Some people eat bugs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1924 on: Today at 17:18 »
Haha. Your thoughts never disappoint. bownod

Also, holy mother forking shirt balls.

Tags: